What I Watched: February 2013

My course hasn't been the most organised last month for some stupid reason, with lectures and practicals cancelled. So I found myself with a lot of spare time, which meant I was able to watch a bucket load of Films and TV shows! 
I've realised that it would be stupid to try create an extensive review on absolutely everything I watch so I am going to do a 'What I've Watched' post every month and just write mini review/my opinions on the subject and give it a rating! 

Silver Linings Playbook
David O. Russell - 2012.



By far one of my favourite films of all time now! Definitely one of the best things I have watched this month.
 I did a big review on this at the start of the month, but I just wanted to remind everyone that you should watch it if you haven't already, Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence have the best chemistry which I think makes the film work so well! Along with the fab editing, script and shots of course. Read my full review here.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Pitch Perfect
James Moore - 2012.
All in all I was actually quite disappointed with 'Pitch Perfect'. It wasn't as funny as I'd expected. Don't get me wrong it has its moments, but they're all one liners given by the same people (usually Rebel Wilson's character Amy). The music and the acapella performances were impressive but I think that's about all that I really liked about the film. It had good characters but just wasn't the comedy I expected. The ending was horrific too!


-----------------------------------------------------------------


Bachelorette
Leslye Headland - 2012.
This is another film that didn't quite match my expectations. It had promise, but unfortunately didn't deliver. Read my full review on the film here.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The Town
Ben Affleck - 2010.
This is a definite must watch if you like a good Action film. I still need to see Affleck's Argo, but watching this I can see that he has a brilliant mind for directing with this piece. Affleck and Renner give brilliant performances and I just can't get over how well Affleck performs, surely directing a film is hard enough without staring as a main character too! He's got talent. 



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




Brave
Brenda Chapman, Mark Andrews - 2012
Still think I may do a proper review on this amazing film! 'Brave' is everything that I love about Disney and Pixar. No matter how old I get I'll still be watching all their films! They never seem to get it wrong! 



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Bad Boys II
Michael Bay - 2003
Just a film that everyone needs to watch at least once! Quite a bad film really but that is why at some points it is good! 


-----------------------------------------------------------------



Die Hard 4.0
Len Wiseman - 2007
Just... no. Think it may have been one of the worst films that I have watched in a while. To me it seemed completely pointless, just a load of ridiculous explosions and stunts that you would definitely die from in the real world. Boring. 


-----------------------------------------------------------------


Aileen: Life and Death of a Serial Killer
Nick Broomfield, Joan Churchill - 2003
So this is one of the screenings I had after one of my histories and context lecture about modern documentary. Documentaries like this really intrigue me as you get a real insight into a murderer (which I find so fascinating! Scary...). Nick Broomfield meets and interviews Aileen Wuornos, a serial killer, over a number of years. It was strange yet really interesting to see how over time she developed into such a paranoid person, changing her plea of self defence, to murder and back. Broomfield filmed parts of interviews that Wuornos didn't want seen or heard and still used them in his documentary. I don't think he should have abused her trust, but it all goes to make a better doc. A good watch but approach with caution! She has a bad case of crazy eyes by the end. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Safe House
Daniel Espinosa - 2012
To be honest, I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to this film.  I don't know why but it just didn't have me hooked all the way through. Don't get me wrong, this wasn't a bad film at all. Some scenes were brilliant and Denzel Washington, as always, did a sterling job with his character. I think it was Reynold's that made me not like the film as much as I should have. His character just didn't really convince me for some reason, in fact I'd say he annoyed me. Maybe it was that contrast in acting skills that didn't work for me, plus the dodgy script.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friends With Benefits
Will Gluck - 2011
Don't know why I have only just got round to watching this film! It's not a ground breaking film, but like most others, I loved it as a film you can just kick back and relax too. Plus Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake have fab chemistry, making their characters really come to life. (Also, everyone woman loves a bit of JT right?)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Imposter
Bart Layton - 2012
 In all honesty, this is by far the best documentary that I have ever watched. It really bugs me when people avoid watching doc's because they think that it's only ever factual and on boring subjects. This documentary blows that whole concept out of the water. A masterpiece in its own right, I am definitely going to write a full review on this asap. But I urge you if you haven't watched it then do so now! (Definitely deserved the Oscar!)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Iceman Confesses: Secrets of a Mafia Hitman
Like the first documentary I mentioned, this too is a doc on a serial killer. Richard Kuklinski, confessed to between 100-250 murders as a hitman, yet his wife and children never had a clue until he was arrested and charged.
 Again, I just find it so fascinating to see him talk about what he had done. The fact that he has no remorse for the crimes he committed, only that his family ever found out. Strange to think that maybe with similar upbringings to his, others may/have turned out like Kuklinski. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Five Year Engagement
Nicholas Stoller - 2012
I just love love love Emily Blunt and Jason Segel. They have the best on screen chemistry ever! I think I really enjoyed the film because I resonate with it so much. Just reminds you that if something is meant to be it will be (if you believe in that sort of thing which, sadly, I do! Haha). Just a great rom-com that you can have a laugh with and essentially the majority of people can connect with too.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is the end of that! Is there anything that anyone think I should watch this month to write about in April? Would also love to hear your opinions on the films I have mentioned too and if you go and watch them!

Comments

Popular Posts