Unpopular Opinions - March

As someone that loves films, I am always trying to keep up to date with all the latest Film and Television news along with new releases. Not every Film that I come across impresses me, even when everyone else seems to be so excited about them!
So this is why I am going to start to do a monthly post on my 'Unpopular Opinions' about new and future releases.

Unpopular Opinion 1: Spring Breakers



Directed by Harmony Korine, starring James Franco and Disney Stars Selena Gomez and Vanessa Hudgens. This film has been big news all over the internet for a long time with a massive hype about it finally getting onto screens this month. However, watching the trailer literally made me want the ground to swallow me up. James Franco as a gangster nearly had me in tears of laughter, Y'all this and Y'all that. Just one massive cringe for me I am afraid. It left me wondering what it will do to his career! The girls are as far away from Disney as could possibly be imagined, with guns, drugs and sex being the main themes in the film, but that seems the only way the majority of Disney girls go these days. 
In all honesty, I just don't really see the point in the film. There doesn't seem to be much of a story to it and I feel like it has just been made to shock and not much else. The colour grading looks good in the trailer but nothing else interested me. I'll definitely be watching it at some  point to see if I am proved wrong! (But I don't think I will be!)

(Listen out for creepy James Franco whispers of 'Spring Break'...cringe cringe cringe)


Unpopular Opinion 2: Oz the Great and Powerful



Uhoh, James Franco isn't doing well at all. 
'Oz the Great and Powerful' is Directed by Sam Raimi, with a pretty huge cast, including Mila Kunis, James Franco, Michelle Williams, Rachel Weisz and Zach Braff. 
The reason why the film has made it into this post is I just don't feel that classic films need any spin offs. Sam Raimi said that the film could be called a 'prequel' to 'The Wizard of Oz' and I guess I just don't see the point in the film. I do think that children will enjoy it simply because they may not have seen 'The Wizard of Oz'. Looking at reviews, many say that the narrative isn't up to standard (which I feel is highlighted in the trailer) and has fell short of many expectations.
The only plus side I think that this film has is the visuals, which look stunning. 




Unpopular Opinion 3: Kick Ass 2

Directed by Jeff Wadlow, starring Aaron Johnson, Chloe Moretz and Jim Carey.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved the first Kick Ass, but I just don't feel like there is any need for a sequel. Some films just need to be left alone and not made into a money making franchise. Watching the new trailer for it backed up my feelings of disappointment, I wasn't overly impressed, and from what I saw I really don't like the addition of Jim Carey's character.


Unpopular Opinion 4: Jack the Giant Slayer

Directed by Bryan Singer

Recently there has been this mad rush of films modernising old fairy tales many of us were told as children. 'Jack the Giant Slayer' is one of them. Don't get me wrong, some of these films are great (I love Tangled!) and I think Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters looks like a pretty decent film too. However, 'Jack the Giant Slayer' doesn't seem to quite cut it. The trailer doesn't seem to bad, but it just gives me the feeling that the film is more about the amazing 3D giants and effects rather than the storyline. 



Unpopular Opinion 5: G.I. Joe: Retalition


No words... just why?! 


I fully intend to watch all of these films and see if my opinions change! Does anyone else have any Unpopular Opinions they want to share? 

Comments

Popular Posts