BAFTAs 2013




Award season is progressing quickly now, with the Oscars looming on the Horizon. One of my favourite parts of the year is passing so quickly! On Sunday I caught the BAFTAs on telly, which is one of my favourite award ceremonies... probably just because of how typically British it is! Some of the awards went to the right people, others not, but as with all award ceremonies you can never avoid some sort of snubbing! 

Stephen Fry hosted the BAFTAs in his usual style(which I love!), but days following the event he got some stick for it, as apparently his jokes overstepped the mark and he ignored the watershed for British television. Personally I think him being criticised for not necessarily sticking to the script and making a few rude jokes here and there is ridiculous. You can't invite someone like Stephen Fry, or anyone else for that matter, to host something without them improvising on a script. Imagine how boring everything would be without improvisation?! But enough of that...

Best British Film went to Skyfall, which I definitely think was the worthiest winner in the category! Can't wait for it to come out on DVD. 
Photograph: Suzanne Plunkett/Reuters
Original Screenplay went to Tarantino for Django Unchained, which again I think was the best for this category! (Even though I haven't seen Django yet, I know its going to be brilliant and everyone I know who's seen it says its amazing!)
Best Supporting actor went to Christoph Waltz, another award for Django. I absolutely love Waltz in nearly every role he is in (especially in Inglorious Basterds and Carnage)! He is also a worthy winner of this BAFTA, but I also think Javier Bardem was just as fabulous in Skyfall, so I think it could have been a very close call!


Photograph: Stuart Wilson/Getty Images
Outstanding Debut went to Bart Layton and Dimitri Doganis for The Imposter. I am so glad that they won this award, The Imposter is one of the best documentaries I have ever seen. It just goes to show that anything can happen with the right creative ideas and support, it's a documentary on a completely different level to others, thrilling, entertaining but all unbelievably real life. If you haven't had the chance to see it yet, I urge you to right away!
Special Visual Effects was won by Bill Westenhofer, Guillaume Rocheron and Erik-Jan De Boer for Life of Pi. I don't think anyone else could have won the award than the special effects team for Life of Pi. Especially as the film was considered 'impossible' to make. The majority of the film was effects (the Tiger, most scenes and backgrounds) and it still felt real goes to show what an amazing job they did. The amount of work the team had to put in was probably ridiculous. It is truly a visually stunning film and that is mostly down to the Special Visual effects team. The other nominees for this category were blown out of the water. 
Anne Hathaway picked up the award for Supporting Actress for Les Misérables, which I still need to see. In her acceptance speech she looked like she was going to faint!
Silver Linings Playbook won the award for Best Adapted Screenplay , which I am so glad about as you'll all know because how much a loved the film!(You can find my review here if you want to read it!) The script was adapted so well and suited all of the cast! Go David O. Russell!
Film not in the English Language was won by Amour. I don't really feel I can comment on this one as I haven't seen any of the films in the category! However, if the BAFTAs is anything to go by, the film is going to have a lot more Award success. 
The very nervous, but brilliant actress Juno Temple accepted the Rising Star award. Temple is a great actress and there is quite a few films coming out this year that I can't wait to see her in! She was up against some tough rival nominees, Elizabeth Olsen has been on the top of her game lately, however I feel she should have won the award last year when she was getting the most festival coverage. 
Best Documentary was awarded to Searching for Sugarman. Another category I can't really comment on as I have only seen one of them! 
Getty Images
I think the shocker of the night was Ben Affleck winning the award for Best Director. Don't get me wrong he is absolutely amazing at directing, (plus he is just gorgeous and I still really need to see Argo!) but he was up against such big names for the award, including Quentin Tarantino, Ang Lee and Katherine Bigelow, all of which would have been more than worthy winners!   
The Award for Lead Actress was won by Emmanuelle Riva for Amour, not sure how I feel about this as I haven't seen the film, but her performance must have been pretty good to knock Jessica Chastain, Jennifer Lawrence, Helen Mirren and Marion Cotillard off the podium!
Lead Actor was of course won by Daniel Day Lewis. Lincoln was up for 10 awards so the film had to win at least one! Plus he's an outstanding actor and deserved it of course.
The smaller awards were also given out - I hate that they don't give them as much air time as all of the other awards!
Short Film went to Lynne Ramsay (yaaay) and team for Swimmer.
Short animation went to The Making of Longbird.
Costume Design was won for Anna Karenina
Make-up and Hair of course went to Les Miserables
Animated film went to Brave - I am so glad, I watched this the other day and was so cute. Still in love with Disney and Pixar films!
Sound was won by Les Miserables 
Editing went to Argo
Cinematography - Life of Pi
Original Music - Skyfall
Production Design - Les Miserables 

Overall I think the BAFTAs were given out fairly with only a little exception for me! I was a bit bummed that Zero Dark Thirty didn't win anything, I really thought Katherine Bigelow and her film deserved more attention!
What are your opinions?


Comments

Popular Posts